Faculty and staff members can contact the OTS Help Center to have their business-related software installed through one of several ways:
- Visit the Software Distribution site to see what software is available that you can install yourself (administrator rights not required).
- A Field Support staff member can install the software via remote control or during a scheduled office visit.
- If you are requesting a common piece of software (such as Microsoft Office), the software can be sent over the network to your machine.
- If the software is available on our free software download page, the Help Center Specialist can walk you through installation.
- If software is to be installed on your laptop computer, you can bring your laptop to the Help Center and leave it for approximately five business days.
The Help Center Specialist will require the following information:
- the business-related software you wish to have installed (e.g., Microsoft Office 2000, WordPerfect)
- your computer make and model (e.g., Dell Optiplex Gxa, PowerMac G4)
- your computer's operating system (e.g., Windows 2000, Macintosh OS 9)
- whether or not you log into TowsonU on your computer
- your office location (building and room), if a Field Support staff member is to be deployed to your office
Primary users are granted "Power User" access by default. The Power User status is a level which allows you to perform most necessary tasks. However, Power Users are unable to make major system changes (hardware, system-altering software, networking), which, if done improperly, can destabilize a system or render it unusable.
Administrative access is most often granted temporarily to allow for software installations. Prior to installing software, you must ensure that it is compatible with Windows 2000. To verify compatibility, you can contact the OTS Help Center, check with the vendor/manufacturer (such as by checking the product's Web site) or search Microsoft's official list of compatible software . Older software can often cause problems with Windows 2000.
If administrative access is granted on a long-term basis, any problems that arise due to use of these elevated privileges will be handled with a lower priority. Additionally, to maintain system stability, future administrative access may be revoked dependent upon the severity of the problem.
Software and Hardware Support and Testing
After the OTS field support members installs a piece of software or hardware on your machine, he/she will have to go through a software/hardware testing process. This process is carried out to insure the stability of your machine after the intended work on that machine has been completed. Only once a piece of software or hardware has passed the testing process can it be recommended for campus use. If a piece of software is on the Supported Software page, there may also be additional training or support available for this software. For more information on software support or testing, go to: