Philanthropic support is vital to Towson University. From providing scholarships that ensure access to a college education to bolstering research, internship opportunities and enhancing athletic and extracurricular programs that prepare students for life after college, philanthropic contributions touch every corner of campus. Gifts from alumni and friends are investments in the success of our students in the classroom, on the field, across campus and in communities where they live and work throughout their lives.
Some facts about Towson University:
American higher education, an engine of knowledge, prosperity and wealth, faces several daunting challenges in the years ahead:
- $89,000,000,000 in government cuts to higher education have been proposed over the next 10 years
- The cost to educate a student has increased 20 percent over the last nine years
- Tuition, fees and public funding can no longer be expected to cover the cost of a college education
Despite increasing costs and decreasing government support, a college education is becoming a requirement for the modern workforce:
- By 2020, 64 percent of all jobs will require some college education
- In 1970, 74 percent of the middle class was composed of individuals with a high school diploma or less;
- in 2007, that number was down to 39 percent
Your philanthropic support can help alleviate the growing distance between a student’s
educational ambition and the cost to obtain a college degree.