The integrated early childhood and special education major offers engaging academic courses and hands-on experiences that will prepare you to be an effective teacher.
Why Earn a Bachelor’s Degree in Integrated Early Childhood and Special Education (ECSE)?
The field of special education is rapidly changing. There is a critical need for teachers who can meet the cognitive, behavioral, social, emotional, linguistic and cultural needs of each student in the classroom.
This specially designed, integrated major gives you the opportunity to become certified to teach both early childhood (pre-K through grade 3) and special education (birth through grade 3). This comprehensive program offers:
- innovative and dynamic course work that helps you develop successful instruction and classroom management strategies
- transformative, real-world experiences through internship placements, offered in multiple school districts throughout the state of Maryland
- experienced faculty-mentors committed to your success
- a supportive cohort of fellow Towson University students studying early childhood-special education
- collaborative partnerships with families, communities and agencies
The Center for Professional Practice connects students to clinical internships. The major will prepare you for a career as an early childhood classroom teacher or as an infant/primary special education teacher.
Admission and Degree Requirements
Admission to the integrated early childhood and special education major is selective. Students must meet the university’s requirements for admission to the professional education program and to internships. View admission requirements for the major.
You can view degree requirements for the integrated early childhood and special education major in the Undergraduate Catalog.
Hawkins Hall, 403A
why towson University?
- Towson University’s long history and reputation as an excellent teacher training institution
- programs accredited by the Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation (CAEP) and the Maryland State Department of Education
- professional development and networking opportunities with alumni in the field through social media and on-campus programs
- interaction with diverse populations during service-learning activities with students and families
- technology-rich coursework and internships
Earn Your Degree at Towson University in Northeastern Maryland
Students in northeastern Maryland can obtain a bachelor’s degree in integrated early childhood-special education at Towson University in Northeastern Maryland (TUNE), located on the Harford Community College campus. Earn your bachelor’s degree without leaving Harford County. Read more about undergraduate programs at TUNE, or email program coordinator Toni Guidi, tguidi AT_TOWSON.