Information for transferring new course work to Towson University is listed below for Undergraduate & Graduate degree seeking students. Review carefully.
Current degree seeking students, in good academic standing, interested in taking courses at another regionally accredited college/university to transfer into Towson University must complete a Transfer Petition Form.
- Transfer Petition Form - Undergraduate Students
Petitions will be returned if not completed correctly.
Permission from the Academic Standards Committee is required before registering.
Undergraduates may transfer 64 units from 2 year schools and up to 90 units from 2 & 4 year schools combined. Exceptions to the 90 unit limit are granted in cases of extraordinary circumstances.
- Final 30 units toward a degree must be completed at TU.
- Courses taken at TU cannot be repeated at another institution.
- Grades and grade point averages are not transferable, only units. Courses where a"D" grade has been earned, are transferable but cannot be used toward a major or minor program. Courses will be transferred to TU at the same level (upper/lower).
- The Advanced Writing requirement or upper-level credit cannot be satisfied with courses from a two-year institution.
- To equate courses from a Maryland Community College to TU, please use the ARTSYS website: http://artsys.usmd.edu. Please note: If a course listing displays "Requires course directive for Core placement", the course may be transferred but is not applicable to Core for current TU students.
- Courses must be evaluated by the department chair when taken out-of-state or at a four-year Maryland institution. Submit the course description and this form to the department.
- Course work completed at degree and non-degree granting higher education institutions not regionally accredited but hold national or specialized accreditation recognized by the U.S. Department of Education and/or the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA), and courses completed at an international institution may be considered for transfer credit on a case-by-case basis. Students must submit an institutional catalog or program of study and a copy of the course syllabi.
- Student’s signature is required as confirmation the policy has been read.
Department chair signature is required for all courses taken out-of-state or at a four-year Maryland institution. Courses taken at Maryland Community Colleges do not require the signature of the department chair.
Return the completed form to the Academic Standards Committee, Records and Registration, Enrollment Services Center, Room 214 for final approval. Fax and electronic submission is also acceptable via the contact information at the top of the form.
Once the course has been completed, submit an official sealed transcript from the transferring school. Send to Towson University, Records and Registration, 8000 York Road, Towson, MD 21252.
Current degree seeking students interested in taking courses at another college/university to transfer into Towson University will need to complete a Transfer Petition Form.
Graduates may transfer up to 50% of their coursework depending on the program's individual transfer policy.
- Transfer Petition Form - Graduate Students
Course work completed at an institution of higher education that is not regionally accredited but hold national or specialized accreditation recognized by the U.S. Department of Education and/or the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA), may be considered for transfer credit on a case-by-case basis. Course work completed at an international institution also may be considered for transfer credit on a case-by-case basis. If such individual review is requested, the student must submit course descriptions and copies of course syllabi for those courses for which transfer credit is desired. The student may also be requested to submit an institutional catalog or program of study.
Signature of the graduate program director is required for all courses and students' signature is required for confirmation of agreement to policy.
Course Work Completed Prior to Admission to Towson University:
- You must be a current graduate degree seeking candidate in good academic standing. Non-degree students cannot transfer course work to their record.
- If the course work was completed prior to your admission to your current graduate program, you must submit all paperwork during your first enrolled term. The transfer petition request, a copy of the catalog description of the course, and the official transcript must be submitted for the request to be considered.
- Students may take courses for transfer to Towson University comprising no more than half of their program requirements.
- To begin the process, please return the completed form, catalog description, and official transcript (if not previously submitted to Graduate Admissions at time of application) to the Academic Standards Committee, Records & Registration, Room 214. Students are also encouraged to include their rationale for how the transfer credit will fit with their program of study.
Course Work to be Taken After Admission to a Graduate Program at Towson University:
- Course work to be taken after admission to a graduate program must be preapproved by the Registrar’s Office and Graduate Program Director by submitting the transfer petition request along with a copy of the catalog description of the course.
- With prior permission, students may take courses for transfer to Towson University comprising no more than half of their program requirements.
- To begin the process, please return the completed form and catalog description to the Academic Standards Committee, Records & Registration, Room 214. Students are also encouraged to include their rationale for how the transfer credit will fit with their program of study.
- Once the course has been approved and completed, you will need to request an official sealed transcript from the transferring school. Please send the transcript to:
Academic Standards Committee
8000 York Road
Towson, MD 21252