The chemistry major at Towson University offers a strong background in all traditional areas of chemistry: analytical, physical, inorganic, organic and biochemistry.
Your Degree Options
You can select the chemistry major, the chemistry major with the professional track, or the chemistry major with the secondary education concentration.
The chemistry major is recommended if you plan to work in a hospital laboratory, technical library or a chemistry-related profession, such as chemical or instrument sales. It’s also a good choice if you wish to pursue medicine, dentistry, pharmacy, veterinary medicine, environmental science, agriculture or other allied fields. View the chemistry major degree requirements and four-year degree plan of study in the Undergraduate Catalog.
Chemistry Major Professional Track
The chemistry major professional track offers a more in-depth chemistry program with the opportunity to obtain American Chemical Society (ACS) certification. This track is strongly recommended if you plan to pursue graduate studies, work in basic or applied research, or seek employment in industry. You can review the chemistry major: professional track degree requirements and four-year degree plan of study in the Undergraduate Catalog.
Chemistry Major with Secondary Education Concentration
The chemistry major with secondary education concentration prepares you to teach chemistry in grades 7-12 through the innovative Towson UTeach program. The field-intensive curriculum allows students to complete both a bachelor’s degree and all coursework for middle and high school teacher certification in Maryland in four years. View the degree requirements in the Undergraduate Catalog.
Why towson University?
- small classes and exceptional student-faculty interaction
- American Chemical Society (ACS) certification, available for majors in the professional track, is widely recognized throughout industry, government and education as a standard of excellence
- research opportunities and hands-on experience with world-class instrumentation
- active student affiliate of the American Chemical Society, offering field trips, seminars and special events
- highly individualized advising, including a detailed four-year degree completion plan